Wednesday 1 December 2010

Task 3a Current networks

Task 3a Current Networks
At this current time that we live in, I find that I use Facebook the most as a networking tool.
It helps me keep in touch with distant friends and allows me to exchange information with them privately if I wish. It allows me to advertise myself as a teacher and a performer. I include information about my jobs and skills in my information, and I can upload headshots or dance photos
It allows me to join groups where I can access or upload information about auditions and anything else that interests me. Also, because it is such a widely recognised networking site, it means I can search people I know. I can also add people who I meet through my line of work, so that I can keep in contact after our time working together has ended.
I also use my Blog now purely to post extracts up of my work I am doing for this course, and also to meet and connect with others o the same course. By doing this I can share my ideas and thoughts, read about other peoples views and ideas and comment on other peoples work. I treat my Blog as a purely Professional networking tool. Although I promote myself as a performer and teacher, I also wish to expand on my knowledge of this course and show to others how dedicated I am to what I do.
Although I use my Facebook mainly to promote myself and to gain information for myself, this year, I also decided to use it to help others. I started up a private Facebook group for the students I teach for a National BTEC course in Jazz and contemporary. This way, the information I post is only viewed by those on the course, and allows them to keep up to date with any news. For example, I sometimes post up photos and videos of them working so they can use them for their Log Books or look back on their own work. I also use the group page to send out messages to the students for anything they may need to prepare for any upcoming lessons. Therefore, I am using a networking tool in a positive way for others to help with their own work and knowledge of the course they are carrying out.
I also found that a friend of mine at the present moment is using Facebook as a networking tool to informs others of a trip she is hoping to make to Uganda. She is going there for 3 months for an HIV/Aids care project:, which involves Caring for and counselling people living with HIV and Aids
in the slum communities. She has created a networking page to encourage people to help sponsor her trip so she can go there and try and make a difference to the situation. So, therefore, if people were to sponsor her, not only would they be helping her to reach her potential, but that will lead to helping even more people in Uganda. This is a positive plan, as one sponsor will be helping a wide range of people in different ways, not just one.
My ideal networking site would preferably be if everything was added or processed in a purely positive way. So that there would be no way I could receive any inappropriate or negative feedback. In the world we live in at the moment, this sadly cannot be achieved, even though networks such as Facebook are constantly trying to stop this from happening, for example. By reporting any negative posts or messages, Facebook administrators can put a stop to this and even remove the perpetrators Facebook page.
If my network could reach out only to those who expressed the same interest by categorising everyone’s interests into certain groups, the more people I would have wanting to get involved and share their thoughts on my topics and discussions. The more people I have, the more I (the creator) can work to develop my knowledge further by following the ideas of others in discussions and debates. The way in which I can try and work towards the idea, is I gave up more of my own time to search through people on Facebook and find as many people as possible who share the same interests as me, or who seems like they would be a valuable source to my network. However, this would be extremely time consuming and not everyone wishes to share their information publicly for everyone to see.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,
    I agree Facebook and other such social networking sites are great networking tools, but as mentioned when we were discussing the pros and cons of web 2.0 technologies if you use these sites for both social and professional purposes you have to be careful that all the material on this site is appropriate for viewing by other professionals and prospective employers. The last thing you want is to be trying to portray an air of professionalism to someone when they come across drunken holiday photos. Personally I try to keep my personal and professional like as separate as possible, for example my Facebook page is purely social and I use my twitter account for my professional connections.
    While reading your post I noticed that part of the text is out of order, the section about your friend going to Uganda to help educate about HIV and aids has jumped to the bottom of the page. Other than that I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess I thought the role of the Administrator you discussed is an interesting point, It has gotten me thinking about my 'take' on feedback. With academic work we are trained to look at issues in a neutral way - pointing out both pros and cons - it is also built into our system of government as the recent student protests, both in person and online, have shown. Positive remarks can be solutions based - there is a system referred to as appreciative inquiry http://appreciativeinquiry.case.edu/ that I learned about that takes a different view than problem-solving at work. However, positive remarks also now can remind me of the consumer culture we live in, the marketing channels on TV come to mind. Last year the network talked about more about the differences between writing for marketing and writing academically. In your case, I think the positive stance of response could be considered as a more commercial or educational function - where positivity engenders engagement. What do you think? I just saw an article on this on the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10663353 that stressed the influence that positive reinforcement had on children's learning. Lots of good issues with this in comparison to your role as a BTECH tutor and as a performer. I suppose to the argument about ethical conduct, that we go over in the next module, also comes to mind....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou Stephie, hadn't noticed that in the writing, I've adjusted it now though.
    Yes I agree that Facebook is used as a social networking device. However, if I were to have photos on my page that were deemed innapropiate like the example you suggested, I could always adjust my privacy settings for who can view those, but I see your point, it doesn't set a good impression.
    Thankyou for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou Paula for your feedback, and for the link to that article. I found it very interesting.
    Yes I agree that the positive stance of response coud be considered as a more educational function. Encouragement, I believe has always been a key learning tool especially for children, as it gives them self belief in what they do and what they hope to acheive in life.
    I feel there is however a distinct difference between negative feedback and constructive criticism. I alway strive to be better and greatly appreciate constructive criticism as I know it is given purely to help amd improve my work and knowledge of the topic in hand.
    I consider the term "negative feedback" for when innapropiate language or non-cnstructive views are given. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if there is a view put forward by someone that another person does not agree with, that person must express that view of indifference in a mature and well thought out way whilst taking into account the views the other has discussed.

    ReplyDelete